Small improvements for daily activity
- Stay the shortest possible time in the pig stable during the feeding period.
- Close windows and doors in the tractor when noisy tools are in use.
- Reduce the number of rotations in the mixing trailer until necessary – do not automatically use the maximum.
- Avoid unnecessarily standing near the mixing trailer.
- Move the work table away from the vacuum pump in the milking room.
Reduction of noise sources
- Missing or bad maintenance often results in unnecessary noise. One should especially be aware of exhaust noise.
- Enclosing motors, compressors and pumps are possibilities. In these instances one should be aware of the risk of overheating.
- Sound traps (duct)can be made near air intakes on drying installations or near the exhaust from the vacuum pump.
Noise reduction by purchase
In the purchase of machinery there can often be achieved very effective and cheap noise reduction.
Noise considerations should be incorporated in the selection of machinery. By purchasing newer machinery, the most noise-reduced equipment in the market can be obtained. The supplier’s mandatory noise data is a good tool for choosing the most noise-reduced machinery.
Noise reduction by renovation
With renovation noise reduction can often be achieved for only minimal additional costs.
Among other concerns one should be aware of the following:
- Partitions near noisy machinery can be sound insulated – they should be closed and made of heavy materials.
- Ceilings and walls in rooms with noisy machinery should be covered with materials that reduce sound reflections; for example, mineral wool acoustic panels.
- Noisy machines can be placed in areas where people are not usually present.
- “Quiet” work areas should be placed far away from noisy machinery.